About Me

My photo
New York, New York
21 year old on the path to finding myself. Hip Hop Dancer (VP of Culture Shock Dance Troupe in New Paltz) and Public Relations student at SUNY New Paltz. I may lack wealth, but I have a wealthy heart.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Growing in the Spring

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone..."
-Bill Cosby

So it's been awhile of course, but with writing you can't force it. And of course, I feel now is about that time that I write what's been going on; a sense of feeling ready so-to-speak.

It's March now, and over the past month and some change I've been doing some growing. Not physical growing, of course. It's the kind of growing that I feel has been long overdue for myself. Lately, I have been unafraid to speak my mind fully, meaning what I say and saying what I mean to everyone. I've found more of a voice when it comes to calling out the bullshit that I see on a day to day basis, and honestly it feels good. Honesty is one of those things that's like a rare gem, and I think I've found a priceless one.

The other day, I discovered the quote stated above, and I feel as if I have been living up to it. I have come to a complete realization that by trying to please everyone, it only brings you down instead of up. Not to say that you shouldn't do for others, but you can't fight every single battle, and that is a lesson that has rang clear to me over the past few weeks. I've recently found a new spark in school that I haven't had in forever; hell I got an A on my Media Ethics midterm and my Public Relations class is treating me pretty damn good. I push myself to get up early in the morning for Media and Society, a constant battle every morning but I have been winning. All of these things I've been doing for myself, not my mother, not for the system, but to make myself a better human being.

I even got so close to snagging an internship, but unfortunately I didn't get hired. However, that rejection didn't even get me down because I feel as if bigger and better things are coming my way...slowly, but surely. By enlightening myself, I've been able to enlighten others. Let's hope that my growth continues steadily and I become a phrenemos (a term I picked up in Media Ethics that basically means a flourishing person.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha Lookin' For?